How to rate your dog's food: Start with a grade of 100 points.
- For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points.
- For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points.
- If the food contains BHA, BHT or Ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points.
- For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points.
- If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewers rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain source), subtract 5 points.
- If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points.
- If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points.
- If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points.
- If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points.
- If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points.
- If Lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points.
- If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points.
- If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog is not allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points.
- If it contains beef (unless you know your dog is not allergic to beef), subtract 1 point.
- If it contains salt, subtract 1 point.
- If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points.
- If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points.
- If the food is baked, not extruded, add 5 points.
- If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points.
- If the food contains fruit, add 3 points.
- If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points.
- If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points.
- If the food contains barley, add 2 points.
- If the food contains flaxseed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points.
- If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point.
- If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point.
- For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "chicken by-products" as 2 different sources), add 1 point.
- If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point.
- If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point.
94 - 100: A
86 - 93: B
78 - 85: C
70 - 77: D
69 and below: F
Below are some foods that have already been rated:
|Authority Harvest Baked||116||A+|
|Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice||92||B|
|Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium||122||A+|
|Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato||106||A+|
|Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (Lamb) by Solid Gold||93||B|
|Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium||73||D|
|Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice & Vegetables (Sold only at Costco)||110||A+|
|Nutrisource Lamb and Rice||87||B|
|Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy||87||B|
|ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley||103||A+|
|Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+||63||F|
|Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies||69||F|
|Wellness Super5Mix Chicken||110||A+|
Beef, venison, and bison (or other 'game' meats) are NOT good for Dalmatians as they are high purine meats